Below are a selection of my publications, some of which are also available on my Academia.edu site. A short, web-friendly version of my CV is downloadable here. If you are interested in accessing any of the work not linked here, please get in touch with me.
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Ring, Hiram. Gender, classifiers, and diachrony in Khasian. In Marc Tang and Marcin Kilarski, eds., Nominal Classification in Asia: Functional and diachronic perspectives. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Pang, Joyce S. and Hiram Ring. Automated coding of implicit motives: A machine-learning approach. Motivation and Emotion, pp. 1–19. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/s11031-020-09832-8. URL https://rdcu.be/b38pm. Both authors contributed equally to this work.
- Ring, Hiram. Word order and the grammaticalization of gender in Khasian. In Alves, Mark, Mathias Jenny, and Paul Sidwell, eds., Austroasiatic Syntax in Areal and Diachronic Perspective, pp. 107-134. Leiden: Brill. DOI https://doi.org/10.1163/9789004425606_006
- Ring, Hiram and Gregory D. S. Anderson. On prosodic structures in Austroasiatic diachrony: ‘Rhythmic holism’ revisited in light of preliminary acoustic studies. In Ring, Hiram and Felix Rau, eds., Papers from the Seventh International Conference on Austroasiatic Linguistics. Journal of the South-East Asian Linguistics Society, Special Publication 3, pp. 1–35. Honolulu: University of Hawai’i Press. http://hdl.handle.net/10524/52438
- Gawne, Lauren and Hiram Ring. Map making for language documentation and description. Language Documentation and Conservation, 10:188–242. http://hdl.handle.net/10125/24692
- Ring, Hiram. Pnar. In Jenny, Matthias and Paul Sidwell, eds., Handbook of the Austroasiatic Languages, Volume 2, Ch. 20, pp. 1186–1226. Brill.
- Ring, Hiram. Nominalization in Pnar. Mon-Khmer Studies Journal, Volume 43 (ICAAL 5 special issue), pp. 16–23.
- Ring, Hiram. A phonetic description and phonemic analysis of Jowai-Pnar. Mon-Khmer Studies Journal, Volume 40, pp. 133–175.
- Ring, Hiram and Paul Sidwell, eds., Papers from the Eighth International Conference on Austroasiatic Linguistics. Journal of the South-East Asian Linguistics Society, Special Publication 11. Honolulu: University of Hawai’i Press. https://hdl.handle.net/10524/52509
- Ring, Hiram and Felix Rau, eds., Papers from the Seventh International Conference on Austroasiatic Linguistics. Journal of the South-East Asian Linguistics Society, Special Publication 3. Honolulu: University of Hawai’i Press. http://hdl.handle.net/10524/52438
Working Papers and Digital Resources
- Pang, Joyce S. and Hiram Ring. Automating implicit motive coding: Replication data and descriptives. OSF. doi:10.17605/OSF.IO/AURWB. Url: https://osf.io/aurwb/
Data for paper on prosody in Austroasiatic languages. Url: https://github.com/lingdoc/data_AA_prosody_paper
Maps of the Khasian Varieties. Url: http://github.com/lingdoc/maps-Khasian_lects
Replication Data for: A grammar of Pnar, DR-NTU (Data), V1. Url: https://doi.org/10.21979/N9/KVFGBZ
Analyze Tone and Plot: A Praat script for tonal exploration and analysis. Url: http://github.com/lingdoc/praatscripts/tree/master/Analyze_tone
The trs2txt script: A conversion tool to produce time-aligned Toolbox ﬁles. Url: http://www.academia.edu/18967348/
Pnar_Language_Archive: Pnar corpus files; time-aligned, transcribed, and interlinearized texts in .txt, .flac and .pdf formats.
- with Matthew Lou-Magnuson. Toolbox Searches and Writes v0.2: A Python script for searching a Toolbox corpus and returning collocations.
- Praat workshop - using textgrids with scripts for automatic measurement. Url: http://www.academia.edu/2049819/.
Refereed Conference Papers
Advances in reconstruction of Austroasiatic clause structure (with Mathias Jenny and Wei Wei Lee). 8th International Conference on Austro-Asiatic Linguistics (ICAAL 8), Chiang Mai, Thailand (27-30 Aug).
Toward a comprehensive grammar of War (with Paul Sidwell). 8th International Conference on Austro-Asiatic Linguistics (ICAAL 8), Chiang Mai, Thailand (27-30 Aug).
Khasian clause structure and word order. Workshop: Reconstructing Austroasiatic syntax, 24th International Conference on Historical Linguistics (ICHL 24), ANU, Canberra (1-5 July).
Syntactic reconstruction in Austroasiatic - overview, perspectives, methodology (with Mathias Jenny and Wei Wei Lee). Workshop: Reconstructing Austroasiatic syntax, 24th International Conference on Historical Linguistics (ICHL 24), ANU, Canberra (1-5 July).
The Greater Burma Zone: Linguistics and questions of History and Ethnicity across borders and boundaries (with Patrick McCormick, Mathias Jenny, Andre Müller). Organized panel session: Association for Asian Studies (AAS), Denver (21-24 March).
On reconstructing proto-Austroasiatic syntax: Methodology and implications (with Mathias Jenny and Wei Wei Lee). 29th meeting of the SouthEast Asian Linguistics Society (SEALS 29), May 27-29, 2019, Tokyo, Japan.
Invited Seminars and Workshops
- Reconstructing word order in Austroasiatic: methodology and implications (with Mathias Jenny and Wei-Wei Lee). Perspectives on Word Order Evolution: Reconstruction, Typology, and Processing (Workshop), 8-9 November, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland.
Verb-initial clauses in Pnar and Khasi. Workshop: Perspectives on Word Order, 27 September, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland.
Toward automatic coding of implicit motives via machine learning (with Joyce S. Pang). Invited talk given at Institute of Psychology, Experimental Psychology, Motivation, and Affective Neuroscience, Friedrich-Alexander University, Erlangen, Germany
- Verb-initial order, Gender, and Diachrony in Khasian. AA Workshop, 5-7 September, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Building tools for linguistic fieldwork: A use case for Xigt and Python computational tools on the web. Xigt Workshop, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 18-19 November.
Towards an expansive Khasi dictionary project with the aid of technology. Riti Academy, Shillong (Meghalaya, India), 20 October. http://theshillongtimes.com/2015/10/25/discussion-on-creating-expansive-khasi-dictionary/, http://thenortheasttoday.com/towards-an-expansive-khasi-dictionary-with-the-aid-of-technology/